Tuesday 6 October 2009

Post the 1st

Derby, eh, cor what a show. I lke it; nice size, nice venue -not the aircraft hanger of one I could mention- but a goodly size. The only downside is that it is not that non-driving fraternity friendly. For me a bus inito Brum, train from New St to Derby, 15 min walk to town centre (bloody city designers) then another bus out. Eventually got fed up walking so I hailed a passing taxi. 

But back to the show. The title of the blog is a bit of a giveaway as to what I bought so there are no prizes for any correct answers.  I decided to make this years project 15mm Sassanids, late Sassanids to be precise, mostly from Irregular whose new(ish) range is rather tasty -well up there- but also some from Lancashire -those with the Mr Elastic from the Fantastic 4 bendy spears. There's going to be some serious spear replacing there I can tell you.

So far I have painted eight of the little Cataphracty fellas and I am mightily impressed with my painting. No trumpet blowing or anything but I would rate them as the best 15mm I have ever done. Bet you can't wait for the piccys. They will follow as soon as the unit is finished and based.

Now I am not a great lover of DBA-Z or Warhammer Ancients so I am still writing my own period-specific style rules, based mainly on the Mongol period (see my other blog  thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.com/ for more info), but they will be very adaptable for all Ancient and Medieval armies. To face them I also pur-chased some Maurikian Byzantine army wallahs. the point of this paragraph is to say that I am basing everything on 60 x 40 mm bases. Therefore 4-5 heavy cavalry, 8-10 heavy infantry or 3-4 skirmishers and so on...you get the idea. The base frontages will be identical for my current and any future armies so there won't be a problem there. Also, using a system of 3 bases to a unit they can still be used for the Warmaster system.

Piccys when the sun shines.

Mick

No comments:

Post a Comment